Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe for Recovery: Overcoming the Funk

I am not sure how most people deal with, what I call, the "uninspired" periods. 

Most of the time, I tolerate very little negativity or excuses for inactivity. But every now and then the funk creeps in. You know...when everything is going wrong, but in such rapid succession that the final straw is when ::gasp!:: your bobby pin falls down the sink drain!

Or you can't get the CD player to work.
Or you forget to check the mail.
Or you discover that TBS isn't going to play a Gary Marshall film, and your weekend plans are derailed.
Or you realize that you need to retie your shoelaces. Because, well, they aren't tied anymore?!
Or your phone rings and it is a telemarketer. Not your future spouse. Not your future dream boss. Not even the local radio station telling you that you have won lifetime tickets to see any artist of your choosing. 
Or you can't find a pen. Or you find one but want a pencil.
Or you just get irritated that there are people in the world breathing YOUR air!

And for any or all of these reasons, you immediately decide that you might as well buy 26 cats and start clipping coupons in an attempt to distract yourself from the failures of life. I mean, isn't that the obvious next step? Yes, very dramatic. Quite possibly very unstable. But everyone has that day and at least once a year.  

I combat this phenomenon in the most simple way you can imagine. I revert to teenage me activities and go back to an inspired time!
A:I start reading through all of my favorite novels from high school (890 pg in 3 days!). B: I start watching favorite film clips on Youtube (during my reading breaks). C: Generally, I also start planning European vacations. D: I begin practicing French sporadically and with gusto! E: Maroon 5 and KT Tunstall begin a repeat performance pattern on my iPod.
Recipe for Battling Malaise & Apathy (a.k.a.What I have been doing the last 3 days...)

A        Archangel - My single exception to the no-sci fy rule! I can't help it!
+
B       I have rediscovered pirate treasure in The Goonies and relearned Ariel's "Ode to Hoarding" song.
+
C       I have charted trains and hostels through Prague, Budapest and Berlin. Must learn German...
+
D       Francophones and anglophiles please treat yourself to Mr. Eddie Izzard's brilliance HERE!
+
E       I now constantly hum "Sunday Morning", which really IS an amazing song. ::sigh::

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the funk. No fun. But this sounds like an excellent recipe for ditching it! Hope you're feeling better, B! :)

    ReplyDelete