Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Geeking Out on a Weekday

Unless you get to live your life in those hallowed halls of Cambridge's Special Collections library--frolicking among the manuscripts on vellum of Beowulf, and possibly gazing through glass at the hand written letters of Charles Dickens--then you probably don't understand my frequent need to simply "geek out" over literature.

Who does really?

My mother thinks I am insane. I think she is right, but that has no relevance to this post.

This post is to pay homage to a beautifully crafted sentiment. A book I stumbled upon (and which I have later learned is WELL appreciated by the international reading community), houses this great line. This line to lead all others! Yeah, sorry Tolkein. My bad. I won't poorly commandeer anymore of your writing. Promise! ::fingers crossed::

Taken from The Geurnsey Literary & Potatoe Peel Pie Society, the now deceased Mary Ann Shaffer brilliantly put into words what all book lovers have instinctually felt since picking The Cat in the Hat. All I can say is "Amen."

Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing device in books that brings them to their perfect readers... 

No comments:

Post a Comment