Thursday, October 4, 2012

By Chance or By Design?

“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.” ~ Honest Abe

I do not follow the prescripted belief that any one day is meant to be special; a birthday is a day. Just like, in the most technical sense, a wedding day or the Super Bowl are just days on the calendar.

That, however, doesn't mean that I prefer days to remain uncelebrated.  Life is an occasion; rise to it!

The thematically perfect sculpture to
feature as a gift in this post! Thanks Boss!
Despite the circumstances or personal significance of a particular date, the day itself has no inherently magical quality. It is the person, and the perspective, that makes any one day a special one. Yesterday, I aged (I like to think quite gracefully!). I have always loved my birthday. Not because of the presents, or the cake, or that ego-centric "it's all about me!" element. I have always loved my birthday because the people in my life have made it an expression of their affection for me. It isn't a new idea: yes, a birthday is a day to celebrate you. But, what happens when a series of rather unusual and spectacular moments string themselves together to create pure joy? Does it render my theory that we infuse situations with personal significance obsolete? Is there really magic in a single day? My romantic inclinations would love to go there...

Yesterday my day was transformed by the people I have met during my short life. Calls came in from Minnesota, Florida, California, New England. Hugs were passed around among my civic league, my co workers, and one very exuberant stranger. Facebook love was staggering! [If nothing else, social media will lift your spirits with some online love on your birthday.]

I am not trying to wave my "look how many friends I have!" flag, here. I just felt blessed. And in awe of the circuitous, surprising journey between states, nations, and life chapters that made all of those birthday wishes possible.  My day felt infused with magic because of the love fest! Bring on the love!

I got the French one... :)
And because I have Sisterita, whose domestic sensibilities in the kitchen, turned out the most magical meal of citrus-infused quinoa and salmon steaks (yeah, I am so spoiled); and who also found time to decorate my room, prep a birthday banana bread loaf for my morning celebration, and write "Happy Birthday" in 27 languages on my birthday mirror. (Great pronunciation game to play post glass of Vihno Verde, by the way...Exystimogislua anyone?)

Then there was the spectacular art piece by wonderful Director purchased me! Vintage, nostalgic, and inspiring!

And some really great grant news for work. (Maybe now I can stop going grey from stress?)

And a reunion with a long lost friend. 

And inducting a new young professional into a life of philanthropic service - my first "little" duck!

 And, then there was the the random icing on the proverbial cake: Sisterita and I met a psychedelic rapper named Aaron, on the streets of downtown. The conversation went something like:

Aaron: Ladies, ladies can I get your opinion? Is this hat too much with this shirt?
B-Verbose: ::eyes Redskin cap, Rasta shirt and Air Force Ones:: Actually, I think you have the attitude to pull it off.
Aaron: So ladies, I've got some music I want you to look up. I'm a psychedelic rapper and you two gals look like you would appreciate a little good music.
 Sisterita: Um, Aaron? What IS a psychedelic rapper?
Aaron: I want you to think about if Fleetwood Mac made rap. And then Pink Floyd came along and jazzed things up. That's my vibe. It was all kind of a mess before I found Jesus. But now my rap is right and all is good with the world.
B-Verbose: So, Aaron, where can we find your stuff? ::looks up online:: Okay. Cool. We will give it a listen later. Great meeting you man. Good luck!
NOTE: I heard very little Fleetwood Mac influence in those tracks. But he was a very very pleasant fellow. And the ensuing banter was quite fun.


All said and done, I don't know if one day can be characterized as "magic" or  more "special" than another. Probably not; but, as Wednesday birthdays go, yesterday was a pretty spectacular culmination of experiences. Honest Abe, I do believe that I added a little life into my years yesterday.







No comments:

Post a Comment