Monday, October 1, 2012

Things You Write That I Will Not Read

"It is more worthy in the eyes of God and better for us as a people if a writer makes three pages sharp and funny about the lives of geese than to make three hundred flat and flabby about God or the American people."

(Garrison Keillor.  Intro to "Happy to Be Here")

 

On that rather enlightened note, I will briefly add my distaste for any of the following:
  1. Anything to do with the basic debauchery of your evening. If your grandmama would look askance at you, chances are I am mentally castigating you with MUCH worse. Fair warning. 
  2. The goings ons of your girl friend's boyfriend's cheating regime. I feel badly for her. But frankly, I am of the opinion that she should let him go. Correction: thrust him from her doorstep with a furious, fabulous kick of her stiletto boot.
  3. Any fan fiction about Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or  Firefly. I love me some Joss Whedon, but the show is gone. I lament the loss; your attempts to finally unite Mal and the lovely Irina, however, are not going to get it back on the air. Or satisfy the hole in any of our hearts. 
  4. The daily escapades of your pet. Funny enough, entries about a rather nasty roommate tend to be both entertaining and educational. So, keep those coming.
  5. Your health journal. Caloric intake values are too much information for this gal.
With all that said, I am not heartless. I fully support the journalistic endeavors of all - not only will the writer find better understanding of his or her own internal struggle, but the very practice will enable the development of a fuller, more globally aware perspective. AKA a semi-considerate observer of the world.

I just want to see the journey's find their way to enlightenment - sorry Maslow, I apologize for stealing your pyramid for my own purposes. And all too often these sorts of entries into the online consciousness do nothing more than irritate, exacerbate and inflame the feelings and fires of the already embittered writing parties. Now, someone tell me: is that supposed to help?

So, maybe just call your girlfriends and have a cinema night?

No comments:

Post a Comment