Friday, August 12, 2011

Practical or Pretty?


Today, I realized my mother brainwashed me. Yes, I said it. I caught myself actually hesitating about purchasing a piece of furniture that I, quite honestly, adored. The kind of purchase that you are sure you will never regret, but which you cannot totally justify. I hesitated why? Because I wasn't sure it was sufficiently functional.

Really? ::slow blink:: I am still a little appalled that I have deviated so far from my habits of college. Well, by that and the fact that I have less disposable income NOW then I did as a college student. 
 "Oh, reality. How I long to strike a more agreeable contract with you! How about this: I make a wish, you grant it? Really?! You agree? That is fabulous! Thanks XOXO."

Let's be honest here: I work in nonprofits. It is rewarding in all sorts of unexpected ways. I serve my community, I work with incredible people, I get to try my hand at projects that in the business sector I would be too "green" to yet attempt...oh, and I work for the Girl Scouts. So I get cookies. [Yes, I know you are jealous.] But I don't get a lot of moolah. So, during month one of new job I have been very careful. The back account is getting low, I need to rebuild the nest egg, etc. Blah blah blah. I need a few things, some of which are captured by the following list:
  • Bookshelves (on which to house my 9 boxes, one trash can, and one suitcase stash of books)
  • A media shelving system of some kind. Locked cabinet? Open face glass? Quoi? Ce n'est pas si simple qu'on croit!
  • An area rug for my bedroom..which I can't buy until I decide the color scheme. 
  • And...ready? A DRESSER!
I had a real one in Florida. Mahogany, double tiered, 5 drawers. In college, I had the super stylish plastic faux organizers. Confession: I still have a few. Now I am faced with the inevitable problem: I need to start throwing my money into possessions of use. Alarm clock? Yes. New scarf? No. Side tables? Yes. ANOTHER piece of art? Ugh..really? Dresser? Definitely!

Option 1
Option 1: Functional.

Otherwise known as "practical", long lasting, multi-functional. And a reasonable $129.

My problem is this: I want some pizazzzzzz!

My bedroom will have dark furniture, some charcoal fashion sketches, perfume bottles, and pillows galore. The furniture needs to reflect that dedication to whimsy as well!





Then we have Option #2:  The Old, Painted-So-the-Wear-Is-Less-Noticeable Piece with PIZAZZ
 
The surprise find at Old Salem Mercantile. ::sigh:: I shouldn't even write where I found it...someone will likely fall and love and go back to purchase it before I can! Alas! This older model has two unfortunate qualities: first, it is a little damaged (though the paint covers most of that), and the drawers slide in and out with all the grace of a ballet dancing llama in an evening gown.

Now, for the GOOD, FABULOUS parts of the piece!
It has a reflective chandelier secured to it. It is light teal ::girly, flirty sigh of happiness:: It speaks to me. It would match the silver and crystal mirror I found! And the white cast iron bookends! And the reclaimed lampshade! And it is only $75! That is sooo much cheaper than option 1.

...I mean, right?
So, do you see the problem? 
Moi, la petite faux Parisienne qui adore l'image et le bleu et tout les choses qui montent la, elle l'acheterais. Voyeuz leur ici. *

And then there is the chic who works 7:30-5:30, drives an antique yacht posing as a car, and whose computer is rapidly approaching the era of Second Operating System Replacement.
[Notice the not-so-subtle fonts I chose for the different personality types...]
Solution?! Could I buy both?! And then the moms of the world would be proud that I own a functional item, and I would still have the pretty! Hmmm. Glitch...yep, there it is...on the horizon by the computer cemetary just in the distance there...I literally don't have that much cash to spare. Zeut alors. 


*Disclaimer: Any observed use of a foreign language should be interpreted with due caution. The writer is not responsible for any grammatical errors that may assault the Reader's sense of order. The writer has not, in fact, had a conversational partner or French correspondent for nearly 5 years.









1 comment: