Wednesday, August 3, 2011

With this inaugural post, I have overcome my 20 month trend of procrastination!

Well, it sure took me long enough. I was 17 the first time I realized that others were blogging; did I join the circus of online over-sharing? Why of course not! What kind of girl do you take me for? But I wanted to. That anonymity, the language options, the freedom from drafting thesis statement after thesis statement...oh, it sounded glorious. But it required delving into the mysterious land of the internet. Which, most of you will now assume I am a relic (translate: too damn old to count), was terrifying. Email, oh yeah, I rocked that. With some ridiculously pretentious username, like scarletpearl (Hawthorne fans, anyone?). Oh oh! I figured out AIM! It was a proud day, I tell you. But a blog? I am a perfectionist, and we do not like to launch ourselves into situations with more than two unknown elements. And the blogsphere was just one large "uh?" So, I justified putting my curiosity off indefinitely. Mission: success!
Then, roughly two years ago I started craving a vehicle with which to complain. Yeah, I said it. I wanted nothing more than to be able to share with some nameless reader the trials and pains of growing into a non profit career for the first time. And dammit, I wanted that nameless reader to give me a proverbial "pat on the head" and accept my need to just be disappointed, confused, and petulant about life. The truth is, I am one of the most optimistic people you will ever meet...only you won't, because that is the point of this thing isn't it? But the early early twenties were rough; I was just out of undergrad, living in a new state with no friends, bursting with energy and lacking in know-how, and realizing that my interests and skills were outgrowing my surroundings. Insert major life change. I quit my job. I studied and thought very seriously about law school. I ran away across state lines and got a few friend "fixes". I burned through my savings and struggled to figure out the next step. Then, lo and behold, reality kicked in. "Self, you need money. Because, well, the Ramen is getting low." So, I took a part time job at a grocery store. "Uh, hey self? Some very cool projects are floating through your radar." So, I dabbled in nonprofit consulting, and loved it. Then, the grand coup d'etat: new job with an incredible organization, and the cherry on the sundae was a new lease with SparkNotes (little sister) in our very own town home! Casa de Fabulous-ity.
And so begins the present day! I am sitting in my new home, surrounded by bubble wrap--and trust me, the need for order is kicking in something FIERCE--with work files on the floor, some indie music on the stereo, and I can't wait for tomorrow. I am a reader first, an observer second, and a writer last. It is in that order that I have picked up tips from others, learned from afar, and put my experiences to ink. Welcome to the chaos of my journey...I can't promise any entry will ever be this serious again.

No comments:

Post a Comment